Grade 4A Knox Primary

Just another global2.vic.edu.au site

Figurative Language

November8

We are continuing to learn about figurative language this week. Using the image below to create 6 sentences to describe it using figurative language. Read over your answers and try to bump them up to a 4 star answer!

Read over other students answers, if you think you can help them to bump up their answers do so in a polite and friendly way.

by posted under Uncategorised | 47 Comments »    

“Figurative Language”

1. November 11th, 2019 at 5:36 am      Reply Hosna๐Ÿ’“๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ’•๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ’˜๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’š:) Says:

hi 4a here are my fL

the man works as hard as a busy bee in his work shop
    i know this is a simile because it has like or as in it

the man is a beastly animal in a dark cage
    i know this is a metaphor because it saying something is something else

the man works for soooo long in that dark creepy place just making things with iron and metal that he never gets to go home
    i know this is a hyperbole because it uses exaggeration

the man had to spend soo long working in that pretty ugly work shop
    i know this is an oxymoron because it has two words that are the opposite

deep dark dirty depot i know this is alteration because i used word starting with same letters

crash as the hammer fell on the mans foot the man cried ouch that hurt i know this is onomatopoeia because it has a sound in it

• November 14th, 2019 at 8:18 am      Reply Minwoo/STEVE/MINI/FRENCH FRIES๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜ช Says:

I think all of your FL is 4 stars

• November 14th, 2019 at 9:08 am      Reply Rainbow/Noob Says:

Hi Hosna,

You comment was very good. I think they were all 4 star answers.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค—.

2. November 11th, 2019 at 7:48 am      Reply Neeko/Milk ๐Ÿฅ› Says:

Hi 4A,

Personification: The metal was red with fury when the man bashed it with a hammer. I know this is personification because metal doesn’t get angry only humans do.
    Oxymoron: The fire made the man shiver from the heat. I know this is a oxymoron because it has two opposites, (shiver and heat).
    Simile: The heat felt like a fire breathing dragon had blown on him.
    I know this is a simile because it has the word like in it.
    Metaphor: The fire is a bush fire that is going out of control.
    I know this is a metaphor because it is describing something like something.
    Hyperbole: It took a million days for the man to find the metal and use a hammer to hit it. I know this is a hyperbole because it is exaggerating.
    Alliteration: Medicine making men made many metal medicine.
    I know this is alliteration because it is using the same word for each letter.

3. November 11th, 2019 at 8:07 am      Reply Imeth Says:

Hi 4A, here is my figurative language,

Onomatopoeia: Bang, Bang, Bang went the blacksmith as he pounded his hammer on the meta. This is onomatopoeia because it uses a sound.

Simile: The hammer was moving as rapidly as a tornado.This is a simile because it uses as.

Hyperbole: The noise was so loud it could travel to the edge of space and back! This is a hyperbole because it uses exaggeration.

Oxymoron: The noise was pretty awful. This is an oxymoron because it uses opposites.

Idiom: That blacksmith and his hammer are not my cup of tea. I know this is an idiom because the phrase is not literal.

Personification: The hammer punched and pummeled the metal.
    I know this is personification because it has a non-living thing with human characteristics.

4. November 11th, 2019 at 8:50 am      Reply Zane/pancake/squidward/soggy pickle/๐Ÿฅž๐Ÿฅž๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿ™๐ŸŽƒ Says:

1.simile. the blacksmith was as big and strong as a thick brown tree trunk. i know this is a simile because i am describing how strong the man is and using the word as.

2.metaphor. the dark shed is so dirty you thought you were in a big dirty underground cave. i know this is a metaphor because i am describing the shed and using two different words that exist in real life

3.onomatopoeia.BANG! a huge metal hammer hit a glowy new tool and the heavy anvil below got another big DONG! i know this is onomatopoeia because i am describing the sounds of the tool whenever they hit something.

4.personification. the black smith hit the anvil so hard, the blacksmith kicked the anvil to life and it had tears coming down from the pain of the hit.i know this is personification because i am giving the anvil human characteristics and the anvil is not human.

5.alliteration. the big buff blacksmith swung the huge heavy hammer down to the rustic anvil.i know this is alliteration because i am using the same sound or letter at the start of 2 or more words that got to make sense.

6.idioms. the blacksmith slammed the hammer down onto the anvil. the man was struggling and moaned and groaned. he asked himself ” why am i struggling so much””I’ve been doing this for years now””this should be a piece of cake”. i know this is an idiom because i said piece of cake but i am saying it is easy or it is suppose to be easy but not actually saying the man wants a piece of cake.

• November 13th, 2019 at 8:25 am      Reply frank_Isaac๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿค‘๐Ÿค‘๐Ÿค‘๐ŸโšฝIsaac/Bob Says:

wow Zane wonderful fls all 4 stars๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• November 14th, 2019 at 7:40 pm      Reply YUMETH๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎโšฝโšพ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ˜Ž Says:

Good job Zane! I like the 4 stars.

• November 14th, 2019 at 9:05 pm      Reply Jacky Says:

nice job i think that was a 4 star

5. November 12th, 2019 at 5:29 am      Reply AQUILA/BIG CHUNGAS Says:

hi 4a

the blacksmith is like a elephant because he is as strong as one, i know this is a simile because i used like in my sentence.

the anvil was smashed to life with excruciating pain and the anvil moaned”ugghh”. I know this is personification because i gave the anvil human characteristics and i also used onomatopoeia because i used a word that was a sound.

the anvil wouldn’t break with his large oversize hammer at the start of it all he said’ it will be a piece of cake” he now has second thoughts and he also said will take a million years. i know this is an idiom because it should not be taken seriously and i used a hyperbole i know this because i was exaggerating.

the man was noisier than a zoo. i know this is a metaphor because i’m saying that something is something else.

6. November 12th, 2019 at 6:26 am      Reply Matthew/chicken dude Says:

hi 4A

1.2. metaphor/ simile
    the men are bees working hard as a blacksmith because he is a blacksmith.

3. onomatopoeia
    bang, bang, bang the blacksmith was working hard.

4. idiom
    blacksmiths work are a piece of cake because he did everything in 5 minutes.

5.hyperbole

the blacksmith was working for a million years.

6.oxymoron
    the blacksmith was awfully good at using an anvil.

7. November 12th, 2019 at 7:30 am      Reply Jordan/bobby :]๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜ชโค๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜ช๐Ÿคโค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค Says:

hi 4A
    here are my FL:
    onomatopoeia: SMASH SMASH SMASH the metal went the ginormous hammer. I know this is onomatopoeia because it uses sound effects

oxymoron: the mans hammer is pretty ugly. I know this is oxymoron because it uses opposites.

alliteration: the hammer hit hard on the metal. I know this is alliteration because it uses the same start sound.

simile: the metal is like the burning sun. I know this is a simile because it uses like or as in it.

personification: the metal got hit so hard it started crying. I know this is personification because I’m give something that is not alive human characteristic.

idioms: the black smith put the hammer down and screamed ” THIS IS A PIECE OF CAKE!”.

thanks for listening to my FL

8. November 12th, 2019 at 7:31 am      Reply Imeth Says:

Nice rhyming couplets Zane, moaned and groaned!

9. November 12th, 2019 at 7:32 am      Reply Rainbow/Noob Says:

Hi 4A,

1.Simile:The big guy is as big as a giant mountain. I know this is a simile because its describing something using like or as.

2.Idiom:This hammer thing is not my cup of tea,I wanna do something else.This is a Idiom because I used ”Not my cup of tea”.

3.Metaphor:The big guy is strong because it has muscles and he can hold a hammer. This is a metaphor because it has is in the sentence,

4.onomatopoeia:”Bang Bang” The big heavy hammer hit the table (or something else).This is onomatopoeia cause it has a sound in it.

5.alliteration:The big guy bought a big hammer to ”bang” on the big table.This is a alliteration cause it has words that start with the same letter.

6. Personification:The hammer banged so hard that it killed the table.This is personification because hammers cant kill a table it can only break a table.

Bye

10. November 12th, 2019 at 7:34 am      Reply christian/monkey man eats bananas๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ Says:

1.personification. the hammer punched and hit the anvil.
    i know this is personification because in giving a hammer human characteristics and a hammer is not a human.

2.onomatopoeia. BANG,CRASH the hammer hits the anvil with such the force it smashes everywhere SMASH.
    i know this is onomatopoeia because i am using a sound of something
    for e.g BANG.

3.simile. the hammer was moving as fast as a bird.
    i know this is a simile because it is using the word like or as.

4.idiom.the black smith was working so hard that when the boss came in he said that looks like a peace of cake.
    i know this is a idiom because i said this is a peace of cake.

5.hyperbole. the noice was so loud i could go to space and back.
    i know this is a hyperbole because i am exaggerating.

6.oxymoron. the blacksmith was pretty bad.
    i know this is a oxymoron because im saying the opiset of something

11. November 12th, 2019 at 8:10 am      Reply Anonymous Says:

Hi 4A

Metaphor- The man is a bee, trapped in a little workshop busy working.I know this is is a metaphor because the man is not actuly a bee.

Onematapia- Stomp! went the mans feet as he walked to fing the right a hammer in the workshop. I know this is onematapia because it is a loud noise.

Personification- The metal braced it self as it saw the hammer crashing down. I know this is personification because metal does not brace it self- humans do that.

Idioms- Shaping metal is not my cup of tea.I know this is an idiom because it uses a common phrase.

Alliteration- Harry Hellan hammered horrifyingly. I know this is alliteration because every word starts with h.

Oxymoron- The metal had a brave weakness. I know this is an oxymoron because brave and weak controdict eachother.

12. November 13th, 2019 at 6:24 am      Reply Minwoo/STEVE/MINI/FRENCH FRIES๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜ช Says:

Hi 4A

Metaphor: The man is a busy bee working in its hive stuck in a dark cage. I know this is a metaphor because the blacksmith isn’t a busy bee.

Simile: The blacksmith is as strong as a bull charging for a fight. I know this is a simile because I described the blacksmith with “as”.

Onomatopoeia: CLINK CLANK as the hammer smashes the metal on to the metal table. I know this is a onomatopoeia because I used words for sound effects.

Hyperbole: The blacksmith smashed the metal with the hammer until the end of his life. I know this is a hyperbole because the blacksmith actually won’t be smashing the metal until his life ends.

Oxymoron: The metal had a strong and hot weakness. I know this is a oxymoron because strong and weak is the opposites.

Personification: The hammer growled at the metal with anger and full of rage. I know this is a personification because hammers don’t growl.

13. November 13th, 2019 at 7:07 am      Reply lisa๐Ÿ˜‹ Says:

hi 4A

oxymoron: the blacksmith looks clearly confused on whether he should bang it again or not. i know that this is oxymoron because it has a opposite in it.

personification: the hammer punches the metal as the blacksmith bangs it hard on the piece of metal. i know that this is personification because the hammer has a human characteristic and last time i checked, hammers aren’t human.

alliteration: the bubbly blacksmith banged the big, big hammer but he couldn’t be bothered to bang it again. i know that this is alliteration because most of the words have the same sounds and letters.

simile: the hammer is as heavy as ten giant buckets of sand. i know that this is a simile because it has the word ‘as’ in it.

idiom: hopefully he will make the thing that he’s supposed to make correctly of else he’ll be in real hot water. i know that this is an idiom because he won’t actually be in hot water it just means that he’ll be in trouble.

hyperbole: he is going to make the best thing in the WORLD! i know that this is hyperbole because it is an exaggeration.

bye!๐Ÿ˜‰

14. November 13th, 2019 at 7:10 am      Reply tran Says:

1.oxymorean: the black smith was pretty ugly because his mask looked awful i know this is a oxymorean because i used two words opposite to each other.
    2.idioms: The black smith’s work was a piece of cake because he did it so fast i know this is a idiom because i am not saying it is a piece of cake
    3. metaphor: The black smith is a machine because he is really good, i know this is a metaphor because i am saing he is soemthing
    4. hyperbole: The black smith is working until he is going to die, i know this is a hyperbole because it is a exaggeration.
    5. onomatopoeia: BANG went the hammer when it smashed the anvil, i know this is onomatopoeia because it is a sound.
    6. Simile: The black smith was as strong as hulk, i know this is a simile because i used the word as to describe how strong the black smith was

15. November 13th, 2019 at 7:20 am      Reply scarlett/ doughnut ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ Says:

hi 4A,

1. simile- He is as strong as a body builder. I know this is a simile because i had as in my simile.

2. oxymoron- the man was shortly tall. I know this is an oxymoron because small and big are opiate.

3. metaphor- The house is an old little man. I know this is a metaphor because there is a is in the sentence.

4. personification- The hammer hit the metal so had it cried. I know this i personification because i put a non- living thing in to a living thing.

16. November 13th, 2019 at 8:21 am      Reply frank_Isaac๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿค‘๐Ÿค‘๐Ÿค‘๐ŸโšฝIsaac/Bob Says:

my simile is the blacksmith worked as hard as a bee. i know this is a simile because i used as to describe something.

my personification is the hammer face planted it’s face on the anvil. i know this is a personification because a hammer can’t face plant it’s face but humans could.

my metaphor is the blacksmith is a hard working bee. i know this is a metaphor because i’m say something is something whilst it’s not.

my onomatopoeia is “BANG!” the hammer smashed onto the anvil. i know this is a onomatopoeia because i used bang.

my idiom is the man made up his mind, he’s going to be a blacksmith. i know this is an idiom because i said he made up his mind.

my alliteration is the blacksmith hammered the anvil with a hard hammer. i know this is a alliteration because hard hammer both starts with h.

17. November 13th, 2019 at 10:13 am      Reply Amy/people Says:

1. Metaphor. The men was as strong is a giant robot, I know this is a metaphor because it has is.

2. Simile. The men worked like a super worker, i know this is a simile because it used like.

3. Alliteration. There is a men working in a deep dark room, I know this is a Alliteration because deep dark have got the same sound.

4. Oxymoron. The house that the men work in is a little bit too dark, I know this is a Oxymoron because it used two opiate words.

5. Onomatopoeia. Bang bang bang as the men’s hammer hit on the anvil, I know this is a Onomatopoeia because it is a sound of something.

6. hyperbole. A thousand hours went past as the men worked really hard, i know this is a hyperbole because I am exaggerating.

7. personification. The anvil screamed “OUCH’ as the men bang on it, i know this is a personification because the anvil did something that a human do.

• November 14th, 2019 at 6:16 am      Reply Mia Zhang Says:

Hi Amy,
      good job!
      Your comments of figurative language are 4 stars!

• November 14th, 2019 at 10:43 am      Reply Sara.T\bacon ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿฆ‹๐Ÿฆ„๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿฅ“๐Ÿฅ“๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿง๐Ÿฆ Says:

great job Amy i give you a 4 star

18. November 13th, 2019 at 10:40 am      Reply Jacky sup mate Says:

onomatopoeia Stomp Stomp the blacksmith walks to the hammer Bang Boom the blacksmith forges the swords i know this is a onomatopoeia because it’s a noises like boom stomp bang

simile the big scary blacksmith is as tall as a house i know this is a simile because it has as in it

idiom After the black smith was done forging he whispered to himself this was a piece of cake i know it’s a idiom because it has piece of cake

hyperbole the sound of the hammer hitting the table was so loud everyone on earth could hear it i know this is a hyper bole because i’m exaggerating

exaggerating the blacksmith hit the metal so hard that it broke it’s bones i know this is exaggerating because metal doesn’t have bones

metaphor the blacksmith is a bird and it’s stuck in the cage i know this is a metaphor because the blacksmith is not in a cage and is not a bird

19. November 13th, 2019 at 8:53 pm      Reply Pete/Pizza_Jeff๐ŸŽฎโšฝ๐Ÿฅ‡๐Ÿ• Says:

Good job Zane, I think all your FL’s are 4 star answers.

20. November 14th, 2019 at 6:01 am      Reply Mia Says:

Dear 4A,
    Here are my figurative language for the blacksmith picture:
    1. Simile: The man worked like a busy machine.
    I know this is a simile because I used like.
    2. Idiom: This is a piece of cake, he thought.
    I know this is a idiom because it actually isn’t a piece of cake.
    3. Personification: The anvil screeched until the man stopped hitting it.
    I know this is personification because I am using a non-living as a human characteristic.
    4. Onomatopoia: The anvil screamed ‘OUCH!’ when the man was hitting it.
    I know this is a Onomatopoeia because ‘OUCH!’ is a noise.
    5. Hyperbole: The man was working for years and years.
    I know this is a hyperbole because I am exaggerating about him working for years and years but he actually isn’t!
    6. Oxymoron: The man was pretty tired after hammering.
    I know this is a Oxymoron because the words are different meanings.

From Mia Zhang!

21. November 14th, 2019 at 7:21 am      Reply lisa๐Ÿ˜‹ Says:

nice job Amy, you did well!๐Ÿค—
    your fl’s were pretty good! i would say all 4 stars! Yeah!๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
    bye!

22. November 14th, 2019 at 7:23 am      Reply lisa๐Ÿ˜‹ Says:

nice job Amy, you did well!๐Ÿค—
    bye!

ps: you did 7

okay bye!

23. November 14th, 2019 at 8:51 am      Reply Sithum / Pear ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ Says:

Dear 4A

1.The room that the man is in like a really dark old room. I know
    that this is a simile because I used like.

2. Bang! Bang! The man hit the big hammer on the anvil.
    I know that this is onomatopoeia because I used a word that makes a sound as we read.

3. The roaring hot red fire was roasting the man.
    I know that this is an Alliteration because I used the letter R three times.

4. The hammer smashed the metal. I know that this is personification because a hammer is a non-living thing.

5. The room is as dirty as a cave.
    I know that this is a metaphor because the room is not a cave.

6. The man is trying to get a hot blazing fire trying to melt the metal is as eating a piece of cake.
    I know that this is an Idiom because I said that it is not easy.

24. November 14th, 2019 at 11:11 am      Reply Sara.T\bacon ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿฆ‹๐Ÿฆ„๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿฅ“๐Ÿฅ“๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿง๐Ÿฆ Says:

Hi 4A,
    these are my figurative language comments!

1. Onomatopoeia BANG BOOM CRASH SCREACH! as the blacksmith threw the hammer onto the table i know this is onomatopoeia because it is a sound that is big and describes how the sound is sounding like

2. Similie the blacksmith was as gargantuan as a giant i can identify this is a similie because i’m either using like or as!

3. Metaphor the blacksmith is a giant i know this is a metaphor because it is saying something is something not something is as something yeah

4. Alliteration the flaming ferocious funky fire was very hot and steaming hard! i know this is alliteration because it is using the same starting letter as the beginning!

5. oxymoron the man works in that dangerously safe hut all day long i know this is a oxymoron cause it is using the opposites f a word!

6. hyperbole. all day long the man just bangs the hammer onto the metal over and over again and he just does that for soooo long and just forces all he’s strength into that piece of metal! i know this is hyperbole because i’m taking a piece of writing and exaggerating it to the point when its a hyperbole!

25. November 14th, 2019 at 11:14 am      Reply Tai/Tia๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿฆ„๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’ฆ:) WEIRD Plates Dude... (drinking saliva) Says:

Ello 4A!

Here are some FL from meh!

Idiom: Being a blacksmith is not my cup of tea. and probably i wouldn’t breathe because there is smoke and his house is all sturdy! I know that this is an idiom because I am saying that being a blacksmith is not really my thing, not my cup of tea.

Onomatopoeia: CLANK! as the blacksmith hits the silver board, he’s house has lots of smoke inside as it gets harder to breath! I
    know that this is an Onomatopoeia because I have used a sound.

Simile & Hyperbole: The blacksmiths fire is as hot as the sun as he holds a GARGANTUAN hammer ready to smash the silver board. he’s house must have lots of smoke! I know that this is a Simile and Hyperbole because I have used like or as and the fire cannot be as hot as the sun.

Oxymoron: ” I think that the blacksmith makes pretty ugly things” he has a dark old and sturdy house with all the smoke inside! I know that this is a Oxymoron because I have said pretty and ugly and they are opposites.

Personification: The silver boards head hurts from all the banging and the blacksmith utensils from the dark, gloomy house. I know that this is a Personification because I am giving the board a human action.

THX!

26. November 14th, 2019 at 7:33 pm      Reply YUMETH๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎโšฝโšพ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ’ป๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ˜Ž Says:

Onomatopoeia: BANG! as the hammer banged the tool,SLOSH! as the molten lava went into the frame.

Personification: The hammer fought the other metal to make a weapon.

Oxymoron: The blacksmith was awfully good at making tools.

Hyperbole: the blacksmith took a second to make the tool.

Simile: The man was as busy as a bee working on the tool.

Metaphor: The shop was a zoo when the blacksmith finished his tools because there was tools every where.

Idioms: The man had no spark of decency.